The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) reports that around 30 people are killed each year in traffic accidents on San Francisco roads, and more than 500 are severely injured. Pedestrians and cyclists are the most at risk. The most dangerous intersections in San Francisco are where many of these accidents happen.
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one in a traffic accident in San Francisco, you need to speak with an experienced San Francisco injury lawyer immediately. At the Law Offices of Daniel S. Rose, we are committed to pursuing justice for traffic accident victims who are being treated unfairly. Allow us to handle your case while you focus on your recovery. Contact us today by calling 888-575-7144 for a free consultation.
The Dangers of Intersections
The Federal Highway Administration reports that 50 percent of all traffic accidents occur at or near an intersection, making them the second most common type of car accident in the U.S. after rear-end collisions. Several factors can contribute to making an intersection dangerous, including:
- Multiple points of entry to an intersection – The greater number of driveways leading into an intersection, the greater the chance of an accident. The entry and exit driveways for many businesses in San Francisco feed into intersections, thereby creating greater risks not just for motorists but for pedestrians and cyclists as well.
- Drivers making illegal or unsafe turns – Drivers put other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists at risk if they fail to yield right of way when making a turn or if they make an illegal turn at a red light.
- Distracted driving and distracted pedestrians – Drivers and pedestrians alike put themselves and others at risk when they do not pay full attention to the road and the traffic around them. Drivers or pedestrians who are looking at a cell phone may fail to yield right of way at an intersection or may not notice another car or pedestrian on the road when they enter an intersection.
Most Dangerous Intersections in San Francisco
The most dangerous intersections in San Francisco are those that have experienced the most traffic collisions over recent years. Motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists should, therefore, be extra cautious when traveling through these intersections. Data from the City of San Francisco indicates that these are the intersections in San Francisco with the highest number of collisions occurring between 2005 and 2022:
- 5th and Market
- Market and Octavia
- 6th and Market
- Mission and Van Ness
- 16th and Potrero
- Duboce and Mission
- Market and 8th
- 13th and Van Ness
- Market and 7th
- 19th and Sloat
Specifically, 5th and Market, 6th and Market, and Market and 7th are the most dangerous intersections in San Francisco for pedestrians, as indicated by the number of vehicle and pedestrian collisions recorded by the City of San Francisco.
What is Being Done to Make San Francisco Intersections Safer?
The SFMTA is working to improve the safety of various intersections around the city with measures such as:
- Lowering speed limits
- Adding poles and speed bumps to roads to encourage slower turns
- Adding more pedestrian signals and crosswalks
- Widening sidewalks
Improvements to street design and regulation are also being made over the long term through the Vision Zero SF plan.
What to do if You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident in San Francisco
If you have been injured in a car accident in San Francisco, you are likely dealing with both physical and emotional stress related to the incident. Your losses may include medical bills, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and loss of quality of life. Under California law, you have the right to receive compensation for these losses if another person was at least partially to blame for the accident.
One of the most important steps you can take to protect your legal rights is to contact an experienced San Francisco injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident. At the Law Office of Daniel H. Rose, we can help you identify and prove your losses to an insurance company or a judge, so you can recover fair and adequate compensation for your injuries.
Bay Area car accident attorney, Daniel S. Rose, has dedicated his career to pursuing justice on behalf of those who have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. He has over 26 years of experience in successfully handling all kinds of complex personal injury cases. Contact his office to discuss your case today.