Tag Archives: car accident

Top 7 Things Parents Have to Know When a Child Is Injured In a Car Crash

Any car accident can be overwhelming, and many people enter a state of shock following serious collisions. However, if you were involved in a car accident in the State of California, and your child was in the car with you, you may feel even more panicked or terrified. There are several steps you can take to ensure that your child receives the best possible treatment and care for their injuries and can receive justice if their injuries were due to someone else’s negligence.

Do Not Move Your Child

First, if your child is not injured in any way, or only has minor injuries, you may want to consider moving them from the vehicle, as there may be secondary accidents where other vehicles crash into the first accident causing a multiple-car pileup. However, if your child suffered injuries that seem serious or severe, you should make the decision to not move your child. Call 911 as soon as possible, and make sure to let them know that a child has been injured. This will alert emergency medical personal that there is a child on the scene of the accident to better prepare their medical attention and treatment. The police dispatcher may be able to help you make a decision regarding whether or not you should move your child out of the vehicle

Obtain Immediate Medical Evaluation and Treatment

If emergency personnel arrive at the scene of the accident, they will likely decide whether your child needs to go to the emergency room immediately. If they do not believe the injuries are severe enough to warrant an emergency room visit, you should still seek immediate medical evaluation from your personal physician or healthcare provider as soon as possible. Your child may have injuries that remain unnoticed for hours or even days such as traumatic brain injury, internal bleeding, internal organ damage, fractured bones, whiplash, neck and spine injuries, or even nerve damage. The sooner your child is seen by a medical professional, the sooner they will be able to receive appropriate treatment.

Obtain a Police Report

While a police report will not help your child’s injuries, having an official copy will help you file a claim with an insurance company in order to receive compensation for your child’s suffering, medical bills, and pain due to someone else’s negligence. You have the right to hold those negligent parties responsible for your child’s injuries and receive compensation for the substantial medical bills you may have, as well as lost wages due to the inability to return to work as you care for your child.

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney

If your child was injured in a car accident, contact The Law Office of Daniel H. Rose. We will work on your child’s behalf to ensure that you receive compensation and a just settlement. Contact our experienced car accident attorneys at 415-946-8900 or online today.